Thursday, April 24, 2008

Baked Potato Soup

When I decided to expand my recipe repertoire, I found a few new recipes, including this one: Baked Potato Soup

INGREDIENTS
6 bacon strips, diced
2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon pepper
6 cups chicken broth
4 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups half-and-half cream
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Minced fresh parsley


DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.

This was for 8 servings. I suggest upping the flour to 1/2 cup and using one more large baking potato. Bit more spices too. But all in all, it was a fantastic dinner and the kids asked for 2nds!!! I'll make it again for sure.

4 comments:

Rina said...

Mmmmm that sounds good!!!

Anonymous said...

It was! lol

Rina said...

I'm adding to next week's new menu plan.

And update your blog, woman - I need something to read! :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmm... we're just heading into Winter (tomorrow, actually), so soup is exactly what we neeeeeed. ;)

I've got a scrummy recipe for pumpkin soup, and this will go nicely.

Powered By Blogger