Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday



We're often busy in the mornings as I have 3 children that go to school, and then I am out the door to Spin class myself. So we need to have a good hearty,and HOT, breakfast to fill everyone up. I love to make bran muffins. They are delicious, quick and easy, and it Works For Me!

When I was growing up, my mom always made bran muffins. I loved them! loved loved loved, them. But I have never, not once, made them and I haven't lived at home since 1998. So I thought last week, that maybe it was time to make some for my kids. Especially since we are trying to cut down on the type of snacks they take to school, and make some more healthy snacks they can take instead. They turned out great!
I'll add in my few modifications to her recipe., and please note, the recipe list is by section, it would take too long to make it all one big list and then tell you what order to go by. So just go by section ;o). Please note, if it is italicized, then that is the actual name of the cereal you're supposed to use.

Easy Peasy Bran Muffins

Step One:

In a med size bowl, mix together:
2 cups boiling water
3 cups of raisins (her recipe calls for 2, we liked more)
2 cups of " ALL BRAN " cereal

set this aside


Step Two

In a large bowl, mix:

3 cups of white or brown sugar
1 stick of softened, room temp, butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups buttermilk

mix it up really well and set aside again.

Step 3

In an even bigger bowl (make sure it will fit in your fridge first), I used a huge one, mix the following ingredients:

5 1/4 cup flour, wheat or white. Doesn't matter
3tbsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
4 cups "NATURAL BRAN" (my mom says this is by the flour in the grocery section, I couldn't find it. I looked all over, and had no luck. It is supposed to be "powdery". But since I couldn't find it, I used "QUAKER OAT BRAN", in a little red box that was with the baking stuff. It is similar enough, and worked for us.

mix all the dry ingredients together in your huge bowl, then add Step Two ingredients and mix well. Lastly, add Step One ingredients and mix with a mixer. You should use a mixer when you add step 2 and step one actually. Please make sure you used a big enough bowl, because this recipe yields a TON, and I mean a TON, of dough.


Now that all of your ingredients are mixed up in a bowl, put it in the fridge overnight. You don't have to, but it helps the dough set better. In the morning, the dough will be very thick, this is normal. You'll probably have to use a spoon to scoop it into the muffin pan like I did.

In the morning, preheat your oven to about 375 and get out your muffin pan. Line it with paper cupcake/muffin papers and fill each one about 3/4s full. Bake for
about 20-25 minutes. I originally started at 350, but 20 minutes in and they were still doughy. So experiment a little and see what your oven needs. 375 did it for us.

I only do 12 at a time, and we enjoy them when they're warm still with a bit of softened butter. Mmmm Yummy!!

This recipe actually keeps for 6 weeks in the fridge! So you can make fresh bran muffins every morning without having to worry about all the prep!




5 comments:

MediMonsters said...

YUM!! Sounds good. TFS

Anonymous said...

This sounds GREAT! Did you leave one of the numbers out for the molasses? Is it 1 cup? I wasn't sure about the 1/. Thought I'd ask before making it. You can usually find bran in the health area of the store where there are brands like Bob's Red Mill or Hodgson Mill. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

1/2 cup. Sorry!! oops. I'll have to double check with my mom and check for sure, but I am 99% positive it was 1/2 cup.

Rina said...

I love bran muffins! Even when I was a kid I did. Little bit of butter and some jam maybe...so good.

~gail~mooselovingmamabear said...

I'm going to make these; sounds really yummy and way better for me than a Slim Fast.... :-0 TFS...and Happy Thanksgiving....

Powered By Blogger