Thursday, July 31, 2008

Here Fishy Fishy!

Do you enjoy seafood? My husband and I are big Tilapia fans. Tilapia, for those who don't know, is a mild, yet delicious, white fish. I love cooking it, for it doesn't take too long and it tastes great.

Here is my recipe:

Baked Tilapia

4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
2 teaspoons butter
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees F). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Place the tilapia fillets in the bottom of the baking dish and dot with butter. Season with Old Bay seasoning and garlic salt. Top each one with a slice or two of lemon. Arrange the frozen mixed vegetables around the fish, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Cover the dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until fish flakes easily with a fork.


I copied this from a cookbook of mine as it is the one I use most often, but I do not include the lemon because my husband is allergic to lemon. The fish comes out tender, moist and flaky. It is absolutely delicious, and even the kids like it! I think though that if I did add the lemon, it would add a nice twist to the recipe and give our tastebuds a bit of a tingle. I'd also like to see some other spices used, but I am not quite sure what yet. I am going to have to experiment the next time I cook it. You can also cook tilapia with tomato sauce, so that might be something I'll have to try as well.

Do you readers have any suggestions as to how to make it taste even better? I am willing to hear any ideas, as it is always nice to mix things up a bit. Or what about any good recipes you might have that include other types of fish?

My neighbours often have a cook-off and actually prepare a lot of shellfish, as they love it. Now shellfish isn't my favorite at all, but I do like "regular" fish with fins. What kind of fish do you enjoy?

I personally think that my Baked Tilapia would be a great contender in a cook-off. Who doesn't like to eat a moist flaky fish? Tilapia is so versatile, you can do so many things with it. Plus, I can cook the tilapia pretty well, so I think I would do quite well. I am sure that sounds a bit pompous, but I know what I can do.

If you like to go to cook-offs, it is that time of year again!! In New Orleans, Louisiana, the Great American Seafood Cook off is taking place this August. Chefs from all over come to compete and win the title of "Crowned 2008 King of American Seafood". If I could go to the event, I would be so excited! Can you imagine how fun it would be to taste all those fantastic dishes? Not to mention all the local Creole and Cajun dishes from the south!!! My taste buds are working over time just thinking about it!

One thing that really struck me about this festival, is the fact that it is the "Great American Seafood Cook-Off". Notice how I bolded "American"? This cook-off supports local, American fish. All over the United States there are specialities. You have Dungeness Crab, the NW Salmon, Lobster from the NE, and Catfish from the south, and many others. It is important to support our local fisheries and fishermen, and not to rely to heavily upon imported fish. If are able to rely more upon domestic seafood, we know that "the source is known, it is local and fresh". Nothing better than that! That is also why I have started to shop more at my local Farmer's Market. You know where your food is coming from, and it isn't from over seas.

In closing, I encourage you to try support your local fisheries. Try something local instead of just getting food out of your gorcer's freezer. And if you can go to New Orleans next month, then go! Enjoy yourself and that food and report back here to let me know.

Enjoy the recipe!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger