Monday, July 28, 2008

Becoming A Better Me

I need some improvement! Not just weight loss, but with my motivation with household chores and cooking. So I though I would start a series or something, that I entitled, "Becoming A Better Me".


Today I thought I would work on the cooking aspect. Now, I KNOW I need to cook more often. This summer I have totally slacked off and been lazy. No beating around the bush, I've been lazy!

Last night I made a roast chicken, and had plans to make my usual chicken noodle soup from scratch, tonight. But I have made that so many times, that I am just sick of it. Its the only thing I would do after cooking a chicken!

Tonight for dinner we had Chicken Pot Pie. It was delicious! pardon me for not having any pictures, I forgot, and we had already eaten by the time I remembered.

Here is my from scratch, recipe:

Couple cups of diced cooked chicken
2 cans of cream of chicken soup, undiluted (10.5 oz cans)
1 can of mixed veggies
2 small, peeled and diced potatoes-cooked or raw, it doesn't matter.
1/2 onion, chopped to your liking
Garlic salt
Pepper

And 1 pie crust.

Mix all the above ingredients, except the pie crust, in a big 'ole mixing bowl, adding the garlic salt and pepper to your liking (i use a pepper grinder with peppercorns which adds more flavor, not that tasteless pepper you get at any grocery store).

Everything should be nicely coated by the soup. Remember, the veggies will emit a lot of liquid while cooking, so if you don't like it runny at all, you can add some more veggies to make it chunkier. Mine turned out perfectly though, with just the right amount of sauce and vegetables.

Once everything is mixed, place your pie crust in your pie plate and spread the mix evenly inside it. Place the top pie crust on top, fold under the edges and crimp them. I like to add a few knife cuts on top, so I usually do our last name initial. Place on a cookie sheet, and bake in a 375 F degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Let cool on your counter for about 10-15 minutes.

*************************************************************************************

I LOVED this stuff. I definitely plan on making it again once the man comes home in 4 weeks, or before. It seems like it would be a great make-ahead freezer meal, especially during the winter. You can just take it out of the freezer and put it in the stove. I do think it will take longer to cook, but shouldn't be more than an hour I would think.

Enjoy!

Look for more posts on cooking, makeup, fitness, clothing et cetera! I need something to write about, so this will be it.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger