Monday, August 31, 2009

Our Fun Weekend, Sans Kids

This past weekend, my husband and I had the pleasure of going away for a night by ourselves. My mom and step-dad own a weekend place upstate on the coast, so we dropped the kids off there Saturday and picked them up on Sunday.

Mom and Walter live right on the ocean, so the kids had tons of fun collecting shells, jumping in sand and ocean water, playing in the pool, roasting marshmallows, and getting dirty. Meanwhile, my husband and I checked into our hotel and changed, and then headed out for a late lunch. We had some time to kill before the movie, so we headed to the Bellis Fair mall and did a bit of shopping. We bought a few books, I bought some shoes (which I LOVE), met some fellow Canadians and just meandered around the mall.

After that, we headed to the theater to see Inglourious Basterds. Wow, what an awesome movie. I really am terrible at writing reviews, but I will say that for someone who doesn't generally like Tarantino movies, this one kicked ass. I loved it. Both of us want to see it again in the theater, but that isn't very economical, so we'll be buying it the day it comes out on DVD. The characters they picked were just perfect for their parts. My favorite was "The Jew Hunter", played by Christopher Waltz. His pipe scene was hilarious! Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, RUN to the theater and see it. You'll love it, I promise!

After an after-movie treat of Coldstone ice cream (OK, "Apple Pie A La Coldstone has to be one of THE BEST I have ever had), we headed back to the hotel. Sunday we didn't get up till 9AM. Oh, how nice it was to sleep in and not be woken up by four shrieking kids. It was great. We went out for a late breakfast/brunch 11AM and then headed over to my parent's place afterwards. We didn't want to get home too late, so we left at two.

It wasn't a long weekend, but it felt great to get away without the kids. We had a really nice time together. I hope we can do it again!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger