Thursday, August 27, 2009

Biscuits, The Easy Way

Today I made biscuits for the first time, and I was amazed how easy it was. My husband is a big fan of hot breakfasts for everyone, so I made these for us this morning.

Biscuit Recipe

2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup All-Vegetable Shortening
1 cup buttermilk, or you can use whole milk


Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, cut the shortening into the Self-Rising Flour with a pastry blender or fork or your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs. I usually use two knives, as I don't have a pastry blender.

Blend in milk with fork just until the dough comes together. The dough will be sticky.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently by folding the dough 8 to 10 times.

Roll it out with a rolling pin till it is about 1 inch thick.

Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough.
Do not twist the cutter until the dough has been cut all the way through (twisting the cutter will cause the biscuits not to rise straight up. This is very important, don't skip it.

Place the biscuits on baking sheet so that they barely touch. Gather up the scrap dough, press it into a circle, working it as little as possible and continue cutting until all dough has been used.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.


Serve warm with butter, or homemade strawberry jam as I did.

The kids devoured these. I made a double batch, and we had non left. My son ate 5! All I heard all breakfast was "These are so good Mom!", "These are delicious!", "That was fantastic Honey", etc etc. Not to toot my own horn, but they were quite tasty.

I've never made them before, so it was good for me to get out of my comfort zone. I'll be making these again for sure.

1 comment:

Rina said...

Thanks for the tip RE not twisting the cutter...I'll bet that's why I can never get my baking powder biscuits to rise!

Powered By Blogger