Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Sad Day

Today we got back from our vacation up in BC, Canada. I intended to write a nice happy post about our vacation, but that will have to wait for a few days.

My father in law called me while I was on my way home from picking up the dog from the kennel, and I informed him I wasn't home and to call back in 10 minutes when I was home. He said he had bad news.

On saturday, my husband's 19 year old cousin, Dustin, was killed in a head on collision on an Indiana highway. He was in the car with his girlfriend, who had taken off her seatbelt to sleep more comfortably. Dustin didn't like this, so he reached across her to buckle her up, and as he did this, he swerved into the other lane and collided with a Semi/Tractor-Trailer head on. He was killed instantly. The driver of the semi wasn't hurt, but his truck was totaled and on fire. Dustin's girlfriend Hannah survived, and was brought to the hospital for internal injuries and broken bones. She is doing well now though, so we've heard. I can't imagine what she is feeling right now, especially since Dustin saved her life. And his parents and sister...I just don't know.

I just ask that you please keep his parents, and our family, in your thoughts. I never had the pleasure of meeting Dustin, and unfortunately we just missed the last family reunion which was at his parent's home. But from what I've heard from my husband, and the rest of the family, he was a loving, kind hearted young man. It has been a sad day here, and I feel so bad for his parents and sister, as well as the rest of our family. The funeral was this morning, but my father in law didn't tell us until today because he didn't want to ruin our vacation. We wouldn't have been able to attend, but we appreciate the thought. It's kind of surreal to know that we were having fun on Saturday, doing some touristy stuff at Fort Langley, never knowing that Dustin had died.



RIP Dustin John Ash, you will be sorely missed.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news ,{HUGS} and prayers for the girlfriend and his family.

momMYsliceoflife said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I just said a prayer for the family and especially his parents and sisters.

Karen said...

Oh my goodness, how absolutely heartbreaking. What a handsome young man. I am so very sorry for your family's loss. My heart goes out to you with love and prayers ... May God comfort you all.

Powered By Blogger