Thursday, July 02, 2009

Baked Ziti

I tried to make this recipe back in April, but if failed miserably. I actually did everything ok, and then once I put the cheese on, I found it was moldy. I guess I had bought a bad bag of it. Oops!

Last week I decided to try again, and it turned out FANTASTIC!!!

Baked Ziti

12oz uncooked Ziti
1 tsp Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic
1/3 lb Ground lean beef
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp Dried Thyme
1 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
28 oz crushed Tomatoes
1-2 cups Mozzarella cheese, grated

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350

* Cook pasta according to directions without added salt or butter, drain and set aside

* Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat; add garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks, about 3-5 minutes. Drain any fat and return to pan to heat.

* Add all spices, and stir to coat beef. Cook until the herbs become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

* Spoon a small amount of tomato mixture into the bottom of a 13x9" pan, just enough to cover the surface. Top with half of the cooked ziti, and then layer with half of the mozzarella cheese. Layer remaining ziti on top and top with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

It fed the kids and I comfortably, with left overs. I served it with a salad on the side. It was proclaimed to be one of my best dishes ever, so I will be making it again! It was very easy to make, and very delicious!!



1 comment:

Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship said...

Sounds like a winner! Thanks for entering the Make it From Scratch Carnival!

Powered By Blogger