Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday





Late again as usual for me! lol! We've had such a busy week with my husband being home.

Today is our daughter's birthday and as my husband was making her cake, we realized we did not have any vegetable oil! EEEK!!! So I quickly googled up substitutions, and realized that we could use shortening or apple sauce. He wanted to try the shortening.

When you use vegetable shortening in place of vegetable oil, microwave or heat up the same amount of shortening as you would vegetable oil. Some people recommend using 1/4 cup more shortening than you need, but we didn't need to. The cakes turned out great!

You can also use apple sauce too, but we figured for the cake, it might taste better with a fattier substance in it, rather than runny applesauce.

And thanks again to Shannon, over at Rocks in my Dryer, for hosting Works For Me Wednesday every week. She does a great job of putting it all together!

2 comments:

Kristin - The Goat said...

That is a great tip! I cannot imagine how my life has changed just because of that little thing - Google.

Have a fabulous day!
Kristin

My WFMW this week is Pack & Ship

Anonymous said...

Great Tips!

Thanks for sharing!
Love your blog!

Come and visit me and learn how you can download books to your mp-3 player for free.

See ya there!
robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://heartofwisdom.com/blog/free-audiobooks-and-mp3-downloads/

Powered By Blogger