Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thick And Hearty Pea Soup, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday





Don't you just love a good thick soup that warms your bones? I'm a big fan of Pea soup, beef stew and the like. It's perfect on a winter's day. I made this for dinner last night, and it was a big hit with me and the girls. Of course, the baby didn't like it as she is a picky almost 3 year old (and the boy is sick, so he didn't eat).

I'll be keeping this recipe handy and plan to make it again.

Hearty Pea Soup


* 3 cups dried split peas (1 bag of split peas)
* 3 quarts cold water
* 2 pounds ham bone
* 2 onions chopped to your liking.
* salt to season
* ground black pepper to season
* 1-3 pinch ground marjoram
* 3 carrots, chopped
* 1-2 potato, diced


DIRECTIONS

1. In a large stock pot, cover peas with 3 quarts cold water and soak overnight. If you need a faster method, simmer the peas gently for 2 minutes, and then soak for l hour.
2. Once peas are soaked, add ham bone, onion, salt, pepper and marjoram. Cover, bring to boil and then simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove bone; cut off meat, dice and return meat to soup. Add celery, carrots and potatoes. Cook slowly, uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

This soup was as thick as a London fog, lol. When I reheat it for lunch today,I think I might dilute it with a bit of water to thin it out a bit. I usually make a nice loaf of white bread in my bread machine to go with it, but due to the boy being sick yesterday, I wasn't able to find the time. I might attempt to make bread bowls the next time I make it, I think it would taste fantastic that way.

Check out the other great entries at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

5 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yum! I love split pea soup. I have 2 ham bones in the freezer awaiting something like this, too. :D

akawest said...

Split pea is my husband's fave. I should make him a pot.

Lana said...

hmmm I've got a huge ham bone in the fridge right now... this is making me think!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

suzannah | the smitten word said...

yum! i love hot soup in the winter:)

Powered By Blogger