Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thumb Sucking

When my youngest daughter was born, she wouldn't take a pacifier, even the green soothies ones. She has been a thumb sucker since birth. At first it was really cute, but now the dentist is getting on us to break her of that habit because her teeth are starting to show her thumb-sucking habit. oops. I've tried, but not that hard really. I figure she'll stop when she is ready.

When our middle daughter was around the baby's age, she sucked her thumb too and finally we told her she was only allowed to suck her thumb in her room at night. And she was just over three when this happened, and my youngest will be 3 in March. But in order to get the dentist off my back, I've started using the anti-nail biting stuff on her thumbs. The dentist wants me to use hot spicy oils and hot sauce!!! I told our Pediatrician this, and he was shocked. He says she will stop when she is ready, and I agree. It doesn't happen as often, more when she is really relaxed and tired.

I was hoping maybe you, my dearest readers, could give me some tips on how to get her to stop. I don't think it is the end of the world, if she needs braces, so be it, but I'd still like to get her to stop. I'd rather see a kid her age sucking her thumb than a pacifier. And I even sucked my middle finger and ring finger for years, way past the age of three.

What kind of advice can you give me?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger